Gallatin – Warsaw – 3 Sites + Downtown Historic District
Host Committee: Gallatin County Historical Society
Sites: Hawkins Kirby House, 101 East Market Steet, Warsaw
Contact: Jacquelene Mylor, 859-393-7828, Jacquelene@jmylor.com
Description: Plan your visit by viewing and downloading the Warsaw National Register Historic District walking tour brochure here> Gallatin County Warsaw Walking Tour Brochure
Walk through the eras of local history from a founders log house through the heyday steamboat era and onto more recent landmark events in the three buildings that make up the Gallatin County Heritage Center with a walking tour of historic Warsaw, beginning or ending at the 3rd annual Peony Festival on The Courthouse Square. Gallatin County, which lies along the bank of the Ohio River, was first settled in 1798. The town of Warsaw, the county seat, was first settled through the efforts of Robert Johnson and Henry Yates in the early 1800’s. Originally named Fredericksburg, Warsaw has grown at a solid pace, along with the county, due in part by the placement of transportation routes within the county. Gallatin County was originally settled due to its strategic placement along the Ohio River that supported shipping, and later in the 1800’s railroads that crossed the county would support its economic growth. Today, Gallatin County remains one of the best historically preserved areas along the Ohio River in Kentucky.
The Hawkins-Kirby House is the home of the Gallatin Historical Society.